Monday, June 23, 2008

Clots of Fun!!!

Today I find myself in the same position that Jen has found me in for the last week.  Flattening my backside in the same chair in front of the TV,  with the Laptop at my side.  The days following my surgery have been filled with movies, some books and a huge helping of the Internet,  only interrupted by the 4 hour pain pill ritual.  This has began to take a toll and has made me irritable.  I try to keep a positive attitude and smile as often as I can,  but the pain sometimes gets the better of me and I become short with Cader and Jen.  They have been awesome with the whole ordeal and very supportive and helpful.  Saturday I began to try to ween myself off of the medication and made it to about Saturday afternoon.  Sunday I noticed a pain in my calf muscle that increased throughout the day.  It feels like a charlie horse feels at the very beginning.  I started to complain to Jen and she wasn't having it,  so I Googled it and read that I was supposed to be doing rotation exercises with my foot in order to keep from getting a blood clot.  I questioned Jen about the nurse telling me this and she said that I was told.  I guess it was right after I woke up and didn't remember.  I began to do said exercises, but I guess it was too late.  When I awoke this morning at 5:00 I wanted to cry.  The pain was worse than anything I've ever felt.  I managed to crutch myself to the kitchen and get a glass of water and took some pills.  Then I crashed on the couch, only to be woken up by Cader giving me a morning hug.  The pills kicked in and I made it to work.  About 8:30 I called the Doc and left a message for him to call when he got out of surgery.  He called back at 12:30 and I told him of the pain I was having.  He instructed me to go to the hospital and get an ultrasound for blood clots.  Jen came and picked me up and we made it in time to have Sandi punish my leg with her gel and ultrasound machine.  After looking at the pictures she took them to the Radiologist and I went to the waiting room to meet back up with Jen.  Sandi returned and asked if I had a cell phone and gave me the Doc's number and asked that I call him.  He stated that I have a blood clot in my leg and that if left untreated, blah, blah, blah,  "Dead".  So he put me on a blood thinner medication and that should do the trick.  I will have to go in and do a blood test on Friday to see how thin my blood will be,  but other than that everything should be good in a couple of weeks.  Bright side of the day is that my Amazon stuff was on the front porch when Jen brought me home.  SCORE!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bradley Ray - that is really scary. I'm glad it hurt badly enough that you called the Doc. DO EVERYTHING HE TELLS YOU TO DO. Are you going to go to work this week?? What did you get from Amazon? I got a new telephoto lenses for my camera. Came just today too. Please take care, I don't want the blah, blah, blah, ... dead stuff to even come close to you.
Hugs.