As I grow older I reflect back on my childhood and the memories that still remain. Camping was a big part of my childhood, where as far as I can remember the family was unified in great joy at the outdoor adventures which would ensue in faraway places like Hyrum Reservoir. At least it was such in my young mind. Wanting to give Cader the same opportunity for camp memories, and new ones for me and Jen, I started out to gear us up for camping. I first began by raiding the sporting goods store, filling my two carts with a tent (just under circus size) some cots, sleeping bags, Coleman stove and lantern (same as dad has). The entire time Jen stood faithfully by not saying a word of discouragement or jest. She only stated that she would try camping in a tent once, since Texas has many creatures that Utah does not. I accepted this and pushed forward with thoughts of many father/son outings.
Well the goods were purchased, the plans were made and the goods sat on a shelf in the garage for a month. No words spoken about camping after that. One weekend while preparing to do nothing, Jen suggested that we go shopping for a travel trailer, "Camper" as they're called in Texas. We Loaded up and hit the road in search of mobile paradise. Searching for only two days we located the perfect addition to our home. It is a 29 foot Jay Flight made by the Amish, to what extent I'm not sure but were probably not the installers of the TV and surround sound. None the less it contains a queen size bed and a twin bunk over a full. Along with sleeping arrangements it also has a full bathroom, dinette, full kitchen with freezer/fridge, stove, hot and cold running water. Ahhhhhh! Really roughing it. First trip was taken over Memorial weekend to the Big Chief RV resort (known as the Big Cheese to Cader). As I lay in our queen sized bed that first night of our camping trip, listing to the air conditioner hum and watching the local news I thought...

Just like when I was a kid. Ha!

2 comments:
He brad!
The blog is looking good. It's fun, blogging. Jen had the right idea, getting the camper!
Oh well, Brad, Cader will have a different set of memories - don't you wonder what camping will be like for him and his family. They might even be camping out on another planet!!
Post a Comment