Sunday, June 15, 2008

Birds of a different Father!!


Today is Father's Day, my fourth so far and I have yet to receive a tie (guess it would help if I wore ties).  Asking Cade what he was going to get for me this year he stated "that it will probably be some paper".  It is a picture of Cade on a fill in the blank questionnaire where his answers are fabricated beyond belief.  When asked what his favorite thing to do with me was, he answered, play basketball and go hunting.  I guess it's wishful thinking on his part.  He did however state several times that he enjoyed playing with his dad.  After reading this I felt bad,  thinking that I have ignored him to some degree.  I guess it made me feel that I wasn't providing the same childhood for my son that was provided for me.  But then,  is it supposed to be?  I,  like my father have a problem with change.  Don't get me wrong,  I like change when it's something I have initiated.  But when it's out of my control I can do without.   So going off of this principal I strive to keep my little world the same, dragging along my family.  Jen has told me on many occasion that it doesn't have to be the same as when I was a kid, and she's right.  Our little family can be unique, and yet I can still strive to keep it like my own youth.  Christmas time we have breakfast for Christmas Eve dinner,  something new,  but I still have the obligatory Christmas picture with all presents lined up.  These are traditions that will go on and on until they are changed by Cader when he starts his family.  I'm just glad I was given the chance to be a father and start some traditions with my son.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good reading, Brad--and a sweet tribute to your own dad. One tradition I think you must keep is putting fruit in the Christmas stockings, then taking them back to make the fruit salad for Christmas dinner. Ahhh yes, memories!!

Cindy said...

Cade is so funny. You gotta love the things little kids say say! Ah, the parental guilt. Don't worry, the little moments with him will add up to a lot of great memories when he's grown up.