
That's what Captain Flint said. He being the pet parrot of Long John Silver. I have just recently finished the great high sea's adventure of Treasure Island. The last time I read it was... was... Guess I have never read it. I only know of the story from my father. Every camping trip that I can recall consisted of a hike, and to pass the time on these many hikes my father would tell me various stories. These included Treasure Island, Kidnapped, and Last of the Mohicans. I don't know how many times these stories were told to me and how many years it spanned. What I do know is that these stories stuck with me to some degree or another, to the point that when I read Treasure Island it seemed that I had read it just last year. Then today, my son walking in to the family room carrying his Lego's, asked that I buil

d something for him. Scrapping together the only artistic ability I have (thanks Brent for taking it all) I whipped up a pirate ship. Not just any pirate ship, but the greatest pirate ship that ever sailed the seven seas. I mean it was awesome! We made an island out of the fireplace hearth and had a water bottle top for the treasure chest. We loaded the ship with a couple of skiff's to explore the island with and set sail. For the next half hour I was young again and we played like we were best friends. The excitement in his eyes was just fuel for my imagination. By the time supper was ready we were running around yelling ARRGG... and avast mates! (Jen just giggled) Needless to say the ship was placed and still remains on Caders night stand. This morning he awoke to say that he wanted "the whole world of pirates and their ships" for Christmas. Funny how little sparks of imagination in my youth have spread to my son.
Post Script: He has also been working on his pirate smile.
3 comments:
How cute is that? Good-looking ship - you should be proud. You are a great Dad, I love you guys!!
Awesome!! Mom is right, you are a great dad -- that is exactly what I was thinking when I was reading your blog. I am so happy you take time to play with Cade. He won't be little for long.
I thought they had flouride in the water down there...
Post a Comment