So anyway, lately Cade has been full of surprises with some of the things he says. He's getting so big and seems so grown up. Sometimes when he says certain things, he seems so much older it makes me a bit sad. The latest Cadism came tonight when Cade and I got home from the gym. Brad was on the phone with Grandpa and Grandpa must have asked Cade what he wanted for Christmas, which started him going again. We have been inundated with Christmas list items in the last, oh say, year or so. Every time a commercial comes on about a toy, he wants it for Christmas. "I really, really do" (picture him looking imploringly at you). And to make matters worse, after we checked the mail yesterday which contained tons of catalogs, we gave the toy catalogs to Cade. He has been "reading" them ever since. Last night I walked in to check on him after we put him to bed and he had his bedside light on and was looking through the catalog just like an adult (me looking a little sad again). But back to the point. I was trying to get in the shower and Cade came in to tell me what he wanted for Christmas. "I want paint to use in the backyard so I can play football (don't know where that one came from!), I want the truck, trailer and horses but not the trailer, only the truck and horses (he already has a truck, trailer and horses but apparently these are different), and I want a robot with laser eyes with the guy with laser eye surgery" (yes, he said laser eye surgery). I start giggling as he continued his list. Apparently, he watches way too much tv. I know, bad Mommy, bad Mommy! I am trying to get in the shower at this point and trying to hurry him up to finish the list. He notices me trying to rush him and throws in at the end of his list, "and I want flowers in a pot for you Mommy, pink and purple ones". AWWWWW, my heart melts! This is following another example of his super sweet side last week. We have been discussing listening the first time at home and school. I always tell him I love him no matter what, even if he has gotten a time-out at school. So my smart little man starts telling me when he notices I'm getting upset with him for not listening, "I love you no matter what Mommy. Forever and ever! I will always have hearts for you in my pocket and will always give you kisses". Then he pretends to take a heart out of his pocket, puts it in his mouth and kisses me. Sometimes he throws in "I will throw away the mean words and keep the hearts forever for you!" Oh my gosh, how did I get such a sweet, sweet boy?
Sometimes I don't think I deserve him but then again, other times I think, yep, you always get back 3 times what you gave your parents!! So after last week and tonight, I got to thinking as I so often do, that I need to write down all the cute Cadisms. Tonight I am finally following through.
Around Age 2 1/2 - 3, soon after we moved into the new house, Gracie got excited (as anyone who has visited our house can attest to!) and knocked Cade down. He was crying so I picked him up and was trying to make him feel better. I told him, Gracie says she's sorry for knocking you down and he said, "no she didn't, dogs don't have talking mouths". Well, this is just an example of the brilliant side of our son! Also around this age, one night Cade asked for a bite of Daddy's nectarine (he thought it was an apple, the only fruit he knew and liked). Brad said, "It's not an apple" and Cade said, "Can I have a bite of not an apple?"
On another night of me trying to talk to Cade about behavior, at the dinner table this time, I was asking him not to play with his food and he answered ok or something to that effect and I said, "Yes, ma'am". I then went on to explain how he should say yes ma'am or no ma'am to ladies and yes sir and no sir to men. He looked at me and said, "When I am big like you and you are little like me, you will tell me Yes, Sir". Well, I guess he at least got the point!!
When he turned 4, things got a little more detailed. One morning on the way to school, he started telling me a very detailed story about the doodle bugs that lived in the drain in the bathtub and slept in the toilet. Wow! What an imagination! He also told me one time that he was "so hungry my belly is going to blow out and there will be nothing but a hole!" That would be his dramatic side.
Thanks for allowing me to share some of my favorite Cadisms. I realize I am not nearly the storyteller or writer that Brad and the rest of his family are but nonetheless like to ramble on anyway! I also feel after the last few months, where my extended families have lost so many family members, it has become more important to me to remember the laughs and forget the trials as much as possible. Cade and Brad are definitely good for lots of laughs! I feel very blessed.
I'll leave you with one more: Cade's Nana told me after he spent the night at Nana and Papa's that he told her "Last night I was laying on the moon watching the leaves fall." What a nice thought and I'm hoping that Linda, Aunt Judy, Mike, Raymond and Deb are doing that now.
3 comments:
Love all the Cadisms! Wish you guys lived closer so Noah and Cade could play!
I know! Cade would love that. Everytime he visits Noah or we talk about him, he calls him "his brother". Cade doesn't ask for a little brother, he asks for a big brother!
Jen, I'm so glad you hijacked the blog for two reasons: First, I loved the Cadisms - another affirmation that I have unusually bright grandchildren. Second, it was good to hear things from your perspective - you write very well, the only thing missing was your cute Texas accent. Wonder how that could be worked into the written word. I hope you will write again and again.
Post a Comment