That's what was asked of me in my youth, "What's the Deal". This question proposed by my father as to say, What are you thinking?, Why aren't you thinking?, or "What the
heck's wrong with you. Well I don't know what is wrong with me but it could be worse. I am a born again! What I mean is that I have, after many years of rotting my thoughts and mind in front of the almighty TV, I have discovered BOOKS. That is to say rediscovered them, for no longer are they just decoration, or door stops. Let me explain my journey to salvation. Month's ago I decide on a whim that life was to pass me by if I didn't begin to read the classics. (Not unlike my mother who whims at a fancy) I contacted the most literary person I know, my mother. The request a simple one, create a list of books that she/the world considered classics. This list was produced rapidly, and I'm sure with the amount she reads, abridged. I began with a baptism by Hemingway and have since been a loyal convert to the religion of reading. Skipping Television programs to read of Robert Jordan and his fight for the republic of Spain. To envision an old man trying to survive in a fishing boat against a monster of a fish. To be watched 24 hours a day by the government. To live the dust bowl and trek across America to a supposed promised land. To read of future tales of book burners and haters of knowledge. These ideas came from others, not I. I would never have imagined such things. I cannot stop, best way to describe it is from a book recently read, (and I quote, very loudly now that the passion is building) " I eat them lik

e salad, books are my sandwich for lunch, my
tiffin and dinner and midnight munch. I tear out the pages, eat them with salt, douse them with relish, gnaw on the bindings, turn the chapters with my tongue! Books by the dozen, the score and the billion." I have begun to acquire at a rate shy of the speed of sound, the very object of this post. Rev. Amazon is my preacher who delivers the goods. The website is tracked by the hour for movement, and delivery is known before the engine of the carrier is restarted. They are placed on the shelf and await to be a meal for my mind. So what ever the deal is I don't really care to know, just wish that this deal came around a lot sooner. Oh, and by the way the quote from above is Ray Bradbury, and the one on the right is from me.
5 comments:
Cool post! That's one conversion we could all benefit from.
You are so amazing BRAD!
I love you very much!
Mandy
Brad, go watch Into The Wild, this moment! (or read it!)
Your own quote is good, but a little shortsighted - a reader easily becomes a writer - you can excel at both. I love that you read - and I love that YOU love reading. Keep us "blogged" about your current readings.
When you don't update this I automatically assume you are dead. Don't make me think such terrible things. You're heartless.
Post a Comment